Evergreen Community Update #10
September 4, 2020
Evergreen Home for Special Care Family and Friends,
Evergreen continues to strictly follow directives from the Chief Medical Officer of Health, the
Department of Health and Wellness and Public Health in relation to COVID-19. The safety of residents
and staff is the top priority of Evergreen and we continue to make adjustments to our daily practices
and pandemic plan.
As of today, September 4, there are no positive cases of COVID-19 at Evergreen Home for Special Care
among residents or staff.
• Resident's residing in long-term care facilities in Nova Scotia are now permitted to attend all emergent
and non-emergent medical appointments, and if safe to do so, can be transported to/from appointment
in family vehicle.
◦ Family member to inform Evergreen of appointment date and how resident will be transported
(EHS, KPTP, family vehicle)
◦ Family member accompanying resident will be pre-screened for COVID-19 in advance of
appointment (via telephone with nursing supervisor), as well as at time of pick-up. Logbook will be
kept by Evergreen for tracking purposes.
◦ Masks must be worn by all persons in vehicle and for duration of appointment – resident to wear a
medical grade mask only. Hand hygiene to be practiced diligently throughout travel and
◦ Best efforts must be made to remain at a physical distance from resident throughout travel and
appointment – sitting as far apart as possible in vehicle if safe to do so.
◦ Vehicle must be cleaned and sanitized prior to resident getting into vehicle.
◦ Risk assessment will be completed with resident upon return, including obtaining vitals.
• Evergreen is currently developing guidelines and policies to allow for indoor visiting, as well as setting
up an appropriate space to facilitate the visits.
◦ Indoor visitation will follow the guidelines released by the Department of Health and Wellness
◦ The guidelines and process to schedule will be communicated with families when established and
Evergreen is prepared.
◦ We are not accepting calls to schedule indoor visits at this time.
• Evergreen continues with outdoor visits.
◦ Resident's are permitted up to 5 visitors at a time.
◦ Brief physical contact (hug, pat on shoulder, handshake) is allowed provided both visitor and
resident are wearing masks and practice proper hand hygiene.
◦ Social distancing must be maintained throughout visit after brief contact. Masks may be removed
when 6ft distancing is maintained.
◦ To schedule a visit, please call (902)678-7355 ext. 555 and leave a voice mail message. A staff
member will call you back to schedule your visit, ask you the screening questions related to
COVID-19, and go over expectations.
• Taking pictures during indoor/outdoor visits are permitted so long as the following occurs;
◦ 6ft physical distance in maintained for the photo
◦ If less than 6ft physical distance, mask must be worn for the photo and must be taken quickly.
◦ Failure to comply may result in immediate terminating of the visit, visitor to not be permitted
additional visits, and/or resident to be placed on 14 day isolation within facility.
◦ If you have questions on what is permitted, please speak with the staff members facilitating the visit.
• Family members are not permitted to give resident items/gifts during indoor/outdoor visits.
◦ If you would like to have resident open gifts during visit, please arrange to have them dropped off at
Evergreen at least 48 hours in advance to allow for isolating of the item. The item will be brought
out to the visit with resident.
◦ If you are dropping items off during visit, please drop off at designated area outside the main
entrance prior to being screened.
◦ Perishable items are not permitted at any time due to infection control protocols.
• Bus trips are also now permitted to be offered to long-term care residents.
◦ These trips are only approved for facility organized bus events and must follow the guidelines
established by Department of Health and Wellness.
◦ Evergreen is not able to accommodate regular bus trips at this time.
• Information concerning COVID-19 can be found at
• Please note that all Community Updates will now be post on our NEWS page on our website!
• Evergreen Home for Special Care can also be searched on Facebook!
If you have any further questions regarding safety and prevention measures put in place regarding
COVID-19, please reach out to one of the following; (902)678-7355
• Senior Centre Nursing Supervisor ext. 6030/6013
• Children Centre Nursing Supervisor ext. 7002
• Social Worker ext. 307
Stay safe and take care,
Evergreen Home for Special Care